Use our HTML5 websites and MailChimp to increase your opt-in rate
The 5 steps below were create to help you increase the opt-in rate on your website. These steps utilizes Intothedarkroom's backend and MailChimp's mailing list system.
The first thing that you need to do is sign up for a mailing list service. If you are just starting out, I recommend MailChimp. They currently have a starter plan that allows you to send emails for free to about 2000 users. This will save you money in the beginning. They also have templates that are easy to use to ensure that you have a nice design.
- Go to http://mailchimp.com/
- Click the “Sign up free” button
- Fill out the information
Create a “List” in MailChimp that all of your website opt-in emails will be added to.
- Login to MailChimp
- Click on the “Lists” section
- Click “Create Lists”
- Choose the “Create List” option (not a group)
- Create a list name (ie: website opt-in)
- Add the default email that the emails will appear from
- Remind people how they got on your list. (ie: “Thanks for joining the Name of Your Company mailing list. Expect to receive awesome information, promotions, and news from us. “)
- Edit your address if necessary
- Choose notification schedule
- Click “Save”
Now that you have a MailChimp account, you need to add your MailChip information to the backend of your HTML5 website template and set up your email capture.
- Login to the backend of your HTML5 template
- Click on the “Contact & Mailing List” section
- Find the Settings tab on the right panel
- Use the drop down to change the “Mailing List Provider” to “MailChimp”
- Add your “Mailing List Account API Key” - NOTE: To find your API KEY, click on this link: http://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/management/about-api-keys
- Add your “Mailing List Subscriber Key” - NOTE: To find your Mailing List Subscriber Key or LIST ID, click on this link: http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/managing-subscribers/find-your-list-id
- Change the seconds on the “Mailing List Popup Timer”. Hint: I would start with about 30 seconds. However, you should check your Google Analytic Stats to see how long people stay on your website. You want to make sure people see this popup before they leave.
- Click “Save”
Now you want to offer your clients something valuable for opting-in to your mailing list. Some options could be a discount, a special offer, or an article that might interest them.
- Now lets change the message that appears in the opt-in popup.
- Click the “Language” section
- Click the “Contact form & Mailing List” tab
- Change the “Mailing List Title & Description” fields. Try some thing like
Title: Get 10% off your next session
Description: Sign up now and we'll send you a discount code today!
Get more from us
Sign up to receive news, special promotions, and discounts
5. Click “Save”
STEP FIVE (optional)
You can now setup an automated email workflow. A workflow is one or more emails that get sent to your user on a schedule. This option is useful because it automatically sends emails to your user making contact immediate. This is an upgraded MailChop feature – so you will have to upgrade your account.
To get started with your automated email, click on the link below and follow MailChimps directions.
RUN A TEST
Now that you have everything setup, run a test and add your email through the opt-in popup. Log into MailChimp and make sure that your email is added to the list. Also, if you have added an automated email, wait a few minutes to make sure you have received it. FYI: sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes to get that email.