WordPress ITDR Admin
Your ITDR Admin is a plugin that will allow you to brand your blog among other things. If the ITDR Admin has been activated, you will find it at the bottom of the left navigation bar. If you have not activated this plugin please do so in the Plugins tab on the left navigation bar.
Main Logo ( recommended but can be changed): 210px wide with 20px of padding around the logo.
Blog mini post image widths: 228px or 496px
Blog Image Widths: 710px
Contact Tab- Contact Sidebar Width ( editable) : 300
Social Media Tab - All optional
Adding Images and Excerpts on the Blog Page
NOTE: You need to have WordPress 3 or greater.
NOTE: The default width should be 228 or 496 pixels.
- Go into your latest post in the WordPress backend
- Find the "Featured Image" panel in the bottom right and click "Set Featured Image"
- Click "Select Image" and upload your desired image.
- Click "Use as Featured Image".
For the excerpt
In your latest post up in the top right corner you should have a tab that says " Screen Options"click that.
You should now you should now see a few options under the " Show on screen" title, make sure to select " Excerpt"
The Excerpt section will now show up below your post area. This is where you can wrote a few words about the post itself.
NOTE: If you want the excerpts to all be the same height, go to the design tab > select "use mini blog post fixed height".
Adding a sticky post (makes it stay at the top of the blog)
- Go to posts
- Find the post you want to be sticky and click "quick edit"
- Check "Make this post sticky "
- Click "Update"
- On the WordPress Navigation go to Appearance > Widgets
- Click and drag your desired widgets from the left panel to the right.
Setup archives page
In the "pages" tab click the "add new" button. Title the page. Then in the attributes panel on the right, use the Template drop down and select "Archives". Now publish.
Setup contact page
In the "pages" tab click the "add new" button. Title the page. Then in the attributes panel on the right, use the Template drop down and select “Contact”. Now publish.
If you want a sidebar on the contact page where you have the option to include your email, phone, fax, address, and even a Google map, go to the ITDR Admin (bottom of the WordPress navigation) > Setup > Contact and fill in your desired information.
To get a Google Map on the contact page like the demo, go to Google Maps and search your address. Now click "Link" on the top right of the page and copy the HTML embed code. Then go to the "Contact Page" section of the theme admin panel and paste the code in the Google Maps box. You can adjust the size of the map by adjusting the “height” and “width” in the code you just pasted.
Setup a portfolio page
Portfolio pages are essentially just a page with a Blogshow embedded in it. To create a Blogshow:
- Create your page and Title it.
- Click the ITDR logo on the top bar of the editor (where you type text into your page). Make sure your Blogshow Plugin is activated!
- (optional) – To change the design (including height and width) click the “Global Settings” tab.
- Click the “Image Sets” tab.
- Click “New” and title the set.
- Select the set you just created and click the "Image List" tab.
- Click “Upload” and upload your desired images.
- Click the "Insert" tab and click “Insert into Post!” on the bottom.
Setup your navigation
NOTE: You need to have WordPress 3 of greater.
- Go to the "Menus" tab under "Appearance".
- Create a New Row by giving it a title, then clicking “Create Menu”.
- Assign the menu to it's location by selecting it in the dropdown in the top left under the "Theme Location" tab. Click save.
- Select the pages, categories, or custom links that you want in this navigation and add them to your menu. To create a sub-navigation item, click and drag an already added menu item and put it under & to the right of the desired parent navigation item.
- IMPORTANT: due to the complexity of the navigation this blog can only have navigation 2 levels deep. Anything higher than 2nd level sub-navigation items will not work.
- NOTE: To create a "dead" navigation item (one that doesn't link to anything), create a custom link with a link to somewhere fake (example: http://something.com). Then once added find it on the right column, click the dropdown arrow, and delete the link.
Facebook comments are turned on by default for this blog, however, you have the ability to use the standard wordpress comment system as well. To do this go to the ITDR Admin > Setup tab > Social Media tab > turn "Use Facebook Comments" to false.
Using Facebook Comments
To moderate facebook comments you have two options: moderating comments with your Facebook username or moderating comments with an app ID. The difference is that with your facebook user ID you can only moderate comments by checking each post to see if there has been a comment. You will be notified of comments and there is no central location to moderate all comments left on your blog. If you use an app ID you can login to one central location to moderate all comments left on your blog.
To moderate with your Facebook user ID:
- Go Facebook and login.
- Go to your profile page and look at the URL. It should say something like "http://www.facebook.com/joesmith7" or "http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=123456789". Depending on your case your user ID is "joesmith7" or "123456789".
- Go to the ITDR Admin panel in WordPress > Setup > Social Media > type in your Facebook ID into the "Facebook Username" field. Save.
- Wait a few minutes as it takes some time to kick in.
- Now to moderate your comments go the comments in an entry and you will see a "Moderator View".
To moderate with an app ID:
- Go Facebook and login.
- Go to http://developers.facebook.com/
- Click "Apps" in the navigation. Click "Allow" if prompted.
- Click "Create a New App".
- Title the app, read the terms if you're a reader ;), and click agree, click "Create App".
- Fill out the captcha if it comes up.
- Locate the section titled "Select how your app integrates with Facebook" near the bottom and type in your "Site URL". (this must be an exact match AND include a trailing slash "/")
- Locate and copy the app ID.
- Go to the ITDR Admin panel in WordPress > Setup > Social Media > type in your app ID into the "Facebook App ID" field. Save.
- Wait a few minutes as it takes some time to kick in.
- Now to moderate your comments you can go to http://developers.facebook.com/tools/comments/. It is also worth noting that you can change the settings by click the "Settings" button on the right of this screen.
Shortcodes are just easy ways to enhance a page or post. This theme comes with a bunch of shortcodes that you can find here: http://intothedarkroom.com/demos/en/blogs/anise/?page_id=9.
To implement one of these shortcodes into your page/post just copy and paste the example given under the titles of each shortcode. Then change the content within it to be your desired text.
For example to get a quote in your blog, copy and paste “[quote]your text here[/quote]” into your page/post, then change the text to whatever your quote is.Setup home & blog page
NOTE: If you don’t want a home page and would prefer to just have the blog page as your home page, you don’t need to do these steps.
In the "pages" tab click the "add new" button. Create a page called "Home". Then in the attributes panel on the right, use the Template drop down and select "Homepage". Now publish.
When you make a blog page leave the template settings as "default".
Next, go to the "Settings" tab and go into the "Reading" section. Select the button that says "static page" and set the front page as "Home" and the posts page as "Blog" if you created a blog page.
To setup a welcome message and the intro boxes on the home page, go to the ITDR Admin (bottom of the WordPress navigation) > Welcome tab.
To setup the twitter feed go to the ITDR Admin (bottom of the WordPress navigation) > Setup. Now change “Use Twitter” to true and type in your twitter username in the “Twitter Username” field.