Table of Contents
Setup Universal Items
For those that are self-hosted (not on our membership plan) go here to learn how to setup WordPress on your server. If you are on our membership plan then there is no database setup needed.
Login to WordPress
To login to the backend of WordPress go to where you installed it and add "/wp-admin" to the end of the URL. So for example, it could be "http://example.com/wp-admin" or if you installed it in the blog directory then it would be "http://example.com/blog/wp-admin".
ITDR Admin - View Example Video
The ITDR Admin is where you can choose colors, fonts, sizes, change settings, and change features, etc. in your template. After you activate your theme it will be located on the bottom of the navigation in the backend of WordPress.
Setup contact page
In the "pages" tab click the "add new" button, title the page, then in the attributes panel on the right, use the Template drop down and select “Contact”. Now publish. This will add a contact form to your page but you can still add content like normal in the text editor.
Setup a portfolio page (uses BlogShow) - Watch Video Tutorial
Portfolio pages are essentially just a page with a Blogshow embedded in it. You can get detailed information about using Blogshow here. To create a Blogshow:
- Create your page and Title it.
- Click the ITDR logo on the top bar of the editor (where you type text into your page). Make sure your Blogshow Plugin is activated!
- (optional) – To change the design (including height and width) click the “Global Settings” tab.
- Click the “Image Sets” tab.
- Click “New” and title the set.
- Select the set you just created and click the "Image List" tab.
- Click “Upload” and upload your desired images.
- Click the "Insert" tab and click “Insert into Post!” on the bottom.
Setup Universal Items
Setup your navigation - Watch Video Tutorial
NOTE: You need to have WordPress 3 of greater.
- Go to the "Menus" tab under "Appearance".
- Create a New Menu by giving it a title, then clicking “Create Menu”.
- Assign the menu to it's location by selecting it in the dropdown in the top left under the "Theme Location" tab. Click save.
- Select the pages, categories, or custom links that you want in this navigation and add them to your menu. To create a sub-navigation item, click and drag an already added menu item and put it under & to the right of the desired parent navigation item.
- IMPORTANT: due to the complexity of the navigation this blog can only have navigations 2 levels deep. Anything higher than 2nd level sub-navigations items will not work.
- NOTE: To create a "dead" navigation item (one that doesn't link to anything), create a custom link with a link to somewhere fake (example: http://something.com). Then once added find it on the right column, click the dropdown arrow, and delete the link.
- logo: 180 x 90 pixels
- header image: 1000 x 353 pixels
- blog post image: 960 pixels wide
- page image: 960 pixels wide
Learn how to save your images here.